World Gold
Good morning and Good evening and happy day, we invite you to participate
Life in the Golden Menenda and participated Bmoadiek Distinctive
World Gold
Good morning and Good evening and happy day, we invite you to participate
Life in the Golden Menenda and participated Bmoadiek Distinctive
World Gold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
World Gold

Gold, internet, fashion, health, beauty, electronics, pictures, tourism, landmarks States, automotive, education, treatment, mobile, software, women, men

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posting users this month
No user
Keywords
Latest topics
» وظائف بالكويت مسابقة 2011 2012 للعمل بوزارة التربيه فى جميع التخصصات
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 2:15 pm by محمد السعيد الجيوشي

» مسابقة وزارة الاوقاف لسنة 2011 للعمل بوزارة الاوقاف والعمل بالمساجد عدد ( 3592 ) وظيفة عامل مسجد عدد ( 1993 ) وظيفة مؤذن مسجد من الدرجة السادسة والخامسة حرفية خدمات معاونة
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 11:57 pm by admin

» العاب موبايل لعبة موبايل العاب للموبايل
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:54 pm by admin

» العاب السباق للجيل الخامس العاب موبايل mobile-games
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:53 pm by admin

» تحميل لعبة Ultimate Alien Pinball للجيل الخامس | العاب نوكيا الجيل الخامس 2011
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:51 pm by admin

» لعبة المغامرات سوبر ماريو super mario باللغه العربيه .. لجميع الاجهزه . لعبة المغامرات سوبر ماريو super mario باللغه العربيه .. لجميع الاجهزه . لعبة المغامرات سوبر ماريو super mario باللغه العربيه .. لجميع الاجهزه
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:51 pm by admin

»  games gamesgames العاب ماك MAC 2011
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:47 pm by admin

» الماك الالعاب العاب ماك للماك العاب روعه رائعه من العاب الماك
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:46 pm by admin

» العاب ماك مجموعة الماك من الالعاب المتنوعه
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 pm by admin

» العاب ماك جميع العاب الماك تجد مجمعه غالبية العاب الماك
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:36 pm by admin

» mobile gamesمركز ألعاب الماك مجموعة العاب مميزه للماك
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:35 pm by admin

» Games iPad 2011
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:32 pm by admin

» Games iPad : Fast Five the Movie: Official Game HD
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:31 pm by admin

» Games iPad : Fast Five the Movie: Official Game HD
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:30 pm by admin

» العاب ايباد مجموعة العاب ايباد العاب للايباد اخر موضه Games iPad
Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:29 pm by admin

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
No user
submitexpress
Search Engine OptimizationSubmit Express

Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
admin
Admin
admin

Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? Empty
PostSubject: Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds?   Is it normal to have anger issues after going on and off pain meds? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Asked by Cookie, Texas
Open quote
Close quote

My husband had major surgery and while on pain meds in the hospital he started developing anger issues. They lowered his pain meds saying this was a side effect for some people. He is out of the hospital and no longer on any meds but he still seems to be unreasonable and angry much more than is typical for him. Is this normal? Is it due to the drugs? I feel like he has become someone other than the man I married.

Mental Health Expert Dr. Charles Raison Psychiatrist,
Emory University Medical School
Expert answer:

Dear Cookie,

I am very concerned about your husband's situation. I hope it has resolved in the period between when you wrote your question and my somewhat delayed answer. Let me use your situation as a chance to talk about how a psychiatrist (or at least this psychiatrist!) would try to figure out what is going on.

I think it is very important to start with the most serious/dangerous possibilities first, because if one of these turns out to be true then rapid action is definitely needed. So let's start by assuming that your husband is not usually an angry individual and that the anger really started with the administration of the pain medications. This is not uncommon, as the folks at the hospital told you. If it had gone away when the pain meds were stopped, or shortly thereafter, I'd have no further worries and my advice would be for your husband to avoid these types of medicines whenever possible.

But his odd, angry behavior has continued and that's what is worrisome. It suggests that the pain medications may have started something, but they can't be the whole story. Or it might not have been the pain meds -- they might be a "red herring." It might have been something that happened during the surgery.

Let's assume (and of course I don't know) that your husband doesn't have a substance abuse problem, so it is very unlikely that he is secretly still taking the pain medications. Assuming this, there are really only two primary possibilities for his behavior. The first is that something medical or neurological has happened to him and this has changed his behavior. The most common examples of these sorts of things would be a stroke, the development of seizures or the new-onset of a glandular problem. The first thing I would do if I were in charge of the case would be to have doctors carefully check each of these possibilities.

If he turns out not to have one of these organic problems, then the next most likely thing is that something about the hospital experience has initiated a psychiatric problem, specifically a manic state -- which would be the most common cause for behavior such as you describe. If he is talking rapidly, not sleeping and making risky and poor decisions, these would also be manic symptoms. But all these symptoms could also be caused by a new medical or neurological problem.

Finally, if your husband is older, it is possible that he was gradually developing a dementia that has been accelerated by the strain of the hospital experience.

I have no idea whether any of these possibilities would turn out to explain your husband's specific situation. The larger take-home point is that whenever an adult has a sudden personality change this is likely to reflect either a medical or psychiatric emergency. If you haven't done so please get your husband medical and/or psychiatric help immediately.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1